Monday, February 18, 2008

fighting irish


When asked if I could think of anything more fun than Irish Step Dancing to Cuban Bagpipe music, I had a hard time thinking of something else.

I cannot possibly think of anything more fun than Irish Step Dancing to Cuban Bagpipe music.

This week since San Cristobal has been jammed pack with greatness:
1. Great Boxing Lessons (with Nardo Mestre who is featured in EYEWITNESS TRAVEL GUIDE: CUBA on page 19)
2. Great Valetine's Day (Cuban style...complete with salsa lessons) aaand
3. Great new friends (that just happen to play the bagpipes).

I feel musical friends (and especially bagpipe musical friends) are the best friends to make. They are easy to locate, one of them is named Sorah and they help with important Spanish vocabulary like "bagpipe" or "put more wind in that instrument."

Luckily, the night before we met them in Centro Habana, mi amiga Caitlin taught me a few Irish Step dance moves.

I never knew I would come to Cuba and feel so Irish.

Speaking of feeling Irish...

I am taking boxing lessons from the sweetest man. He reminds me of a Cuban version of mi abuelo (poppie) only a bit shorter and a bit spanish(er). I look forward to training more.

Another class I took this past week was salsa (on Valentine's) which I enjoyed... but I can't afford to take too many of those lessons with my new leila ali dreams.

My legs officially hate me for being Irish/taking boxing/salsa dancing the week away. But it's alright. I'm in Cuba!

3 comments:

  1. okay i can only think of one more perfect scenario.
    The bagpipe version of "bless your beautiful hide"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Honey, I am dying to know the spanish for "Put more wind in the instrument". I can use that phrase in tooters.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know who that fierce looking fresa is on the right. She looks tough.

    ReplyDelete