Tuesday, March 18, 2008

spring break 2008


I've found my new happy place.

Santa Clara and the Escombry mountains are officially replacing Disney World as the place where I feel the most peaceful.

And this my friends, is the Cuba you put on a post card. Never mind the dead goats or old cars I was tempted to post before; I know now Cuba has more to offer.

My roomie Kati and I spent Thursday morning waking up with the sun and enjoyed the fact that in this place (for our spring vacation), there was no MTV Spring Break or swim-up bar (a.k.a. lifeguard's nightmare) and you breathe in clean air (BIG DEAL) not tainted from old 1956 Chevrolet's.

This may be a long entry so I will summarize if you wish to skip to certain parts:
1. Ernesto Che Guevara Memorial-namer of all men.

In the Che Guevara Memorial, to honor those who fought with him, a wall of plastered faces with nicknames from Che's journal welcomed us to explore.

Meet Pacha, Tuma and Chino.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about being called "Chino" on my gravestone if I am not Chinese. But that's just me.

And as a dedicated journal-writer, it's a bit unsettling for someone to put the names I call people as their grave marker. That would mean my sister would permanently be Tater, my friend Kristin would be the Clevage (long story) and Nardo my boxing coach would die the "ass-kicker." (But I'm not so sure he would mind that.)

What's even better is the museum had the following: guns, pictures of Che and a rock Che once saw in a river.

I kid you not... that's Cuba's hero.

2. Swimming

I am a full believer that if water is involved, it is fun. If water is involved as a lake, pool and ocean...it's unbelievable.

Thus, I had an unbelievably fun week swimming my legs off first in a lake (in the Escombry mountains), then in a pool (still in Escombry, even accidentally yelled at a child to walk...but, it happens...lifeguard tendencies never die) and finished in the ocean.

Sunday morning I was able to snorkel and see all these beautiful fish that were bright blue and checkered. I even tried to race one...but I lost.

3. Trinidad-Not Cuba.

The last two days of our trip were spent in an all-inclusive resort in Trinidad (where I swam in the ocean) and it was the first time, in two months at least, I'd seen a bathtub.

I screamed.

It was also the first time I knew (for sure) I would have water pressure in addition to a hot shower, food I could digest and a television with more than two English channels.

I clearly, was not in Cuba.

It was weird to be around tourists from Europe and Canada. I had a sudden urge to take French again because I heard it more than Spanish, but then I started talking to our waiter and realized where I supposedly was again.

Feeling French-y certainly didn't stop me from swimming, once again, and applying (and re-applying) SPF 45.

I am going to make many constellations out of my freckles when I get home. That's for sure.

As smooth as everything went, we still managed to have a Cuba moment when our bus broke down and we had to drive without AC (misery!).

But if that was the worst part, then I'd say, SWEET VICTORY CUBA!

What a way to celebrate two months...

2 comments:

  1. So are you saying that Cuba has a certain "je ne sais qoi"? Sounds like Hawaii when you describe the snorkeling. Did you see Nemo near the corals?
    Great post. Get some rest la fresa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh ... i just lived my spring break vicariously through you :)

    thank you... i have chosen it as mine because it sounds better than any lame mtv spring break destination that i have heard about from my friends

    i am slightly sad that you say its better than disney world because i wont get to experience it but you can just tell me about it over and over again with lots of pictures. that'll work!

    ReplyDelete